Malone Golf Club, Dunmurray Belfast Co Antrim
A 22-acre lake is the focal point of this really beautiful parkland course and it comes into play on a number of holes, notably the 15th, a par-3 of 136 yards where both the tee and the green are built out into the lake with next to nothing but water between the two. The course is bounded by the River Lagan on one side and a main road on the other. The trout lake comes into play again on the 18th where a fade or a slice shot will find a watery grave. Huge mature trees as well as a total of 42 bunkers are other hazards to avoid around the course. Richly deserving its reputation for an excellent standard of presentation, Malone has played host to a number of tournaments and championships.
Malone Golf Club is situated opposite Lady Dixon park on Upper Malone Road in Dunmurray about five miles from the Belfast city centre county Antrim in Northern Ireland. It is one of Northern Ireland’s finest championship golf courses. Malone Golf Club has played host to major golfing events, including the Irish Amateur Close Championship in 1984 and the Irish Senior Masters in 1994, won by Tommy Horton.
It is a secluded parkland course in gently undulating countryside on the outskirts of Belfast. The present Ballydrain site is the Club's fourth home since it was founded in 1895, and is now complete with a 27 hole facility. One of the most picturesque inland courses, the Championship Course is set in 300 acres of wooded parkland. A 27-acre lake comes into play at a number of holes.
The greens on the course are large with many undulations and an exceptionally good putting surface. This course is a real pleasure to play.
- SSS: 9 holes 70; 18 holes 72.
- Green fees: 18 holes: Weekdays £65 or £15 with a member. Weekends/public holidays £75 or £17 with a member. 9 holes: Weekdays £20 or £7 with a member. Weekends/public holidays £25 or £9 with a member.
- Best days to play: Monday, Wednesday am, Thursday, Friday and Sunday.
- Length in yards: 9 holes 3,160; 18 holes 6,706.
- Par of course: 9 holes 72; 18 holes 71.
- Course designer: J Harris (C.K.Cotton Associates)
- Directions from Town: 5 miles south of Belfast city centre
- Golf Club: Parkland
- Handicap/certificate requirements: None required.