Dungannon Golf Club, Springfield Lane, Dungannon, Co Tyrone
Dungannon Golf Club was founded in 1890 and is one of the original founder clubs of the Golfing Union of Ireland. It began as a 9 hole course and subsequently leased additional land to expand to the present 18 holes.
In common with other clubs of its vintage, the clubhouse facilities were small and primitive with an on-going process of building bigger and better. In 2000, the clubhouse was completely rebuilt on the site of its predecessor to provide the best facilities possible for the new Millennium.
Dungannon is also home to Irelands' Darren Clarke and it was Darren, a former member and now an Honorary Life Member, who officially opened the new Clubhouse back in June 2000.
At this time, the Club reconstructed three holes to tighten the course and make it a greater challenge to the average golfer. One of these new holes - the signature ninth is now called the “Darren Clarke” which features a fairly narrow, ribbon-like crescent shaped green which is completely protected from the tee by a pond.
The course is located in typical drumlin countryside with the skyline of Dungannon town as a backdrop to the East. The course structure reflects the different acquisition dates of the front and back nine holes, in that the front nine are reasonably flat whilst the terrain of the back nine starts testing the fitness and psyche of the average golfer. Fairways are wider than most throughout the course, the intention being to let the ponds, bunkers and course structure challenge the player and his skills.
6 NEW GREENS designed by top international designer Patrick Merrigan will be opening in April 2009.
They are 10th,11th,12th,13th,15th & 16th
34 Springfield Lane