Portumna Golf Club
Portumna Golf Club was founded in 1913 on land directly across the road from the entrance to the present course. In 1934 the move was made to the present location on land rented from the Clanrickard Estate. The new course was designed then by Michael O'Keeffe, B.E. and was opened by Mons. Joyce on June 30th 1935. In 1935 also a new pavilion was constructed mostly of timber supplied free of charge by McAinish & Co. and a new bar and modern toilet facilities were added later.
In 1956 a ninety-nine year lease was secured on the land. In 1971 a new clubhouse was opened and a further thirty acres was added to the lease in 1972 with a view to extending the course to 18 holes. Work on the new course began in the mid eighties and culminated in the official opening of the first eighteen hole course on June 21st 1992.
In 1993 the club availed of an opportunity to purchase the course from Coillte. The eighty-eight acres on the 99 year lease plus 38 other acres were secured for £90,000.
In 1997 the existing clubhouse was extended and refurbished to provide modern facilities for a rapidly expanding club membership. Subsequent alterations and addition to the course has resulted in the fine facility that we now enjoy.
Portumna Golf Club,
+353 (0) 90 9741059
+353 (0) 90 9741798