Co Sligo Golf Club, Rosses Point, Co Sligo

County Sligo Golf Club is situated at Rosses Point, a seaside village eight kilometres north west of Sligo town, and is one of the oldest and best-known links courses in Ireland.

The club was founded in 1894, on land leased from Henry Middleton, an uncle of W.B Yeats the famous poet and Nobel Prize winner for literature and his brother Jack B Yeats the noted landscape painter.

The links are set out on one of the most scenic locations – bounded by the Atlantic Ocean on the west; Benbulben dominates the view on the northern skyline and bears a striking resemblance to Cape Town’s Table Mountain. To the east Glencar valley and the Dartary mountains with Lugnagall and Truskmore, while the southern vista is completed by Knocknarea topped by a large Cairn of stones reputed to be the grave of the ‘Warrior Queen Meave of Connaught’.

The club owes its existence to Lieutenant Colonel James Campbell who chaired the first meeting of the club on the 18th of October 1894 and became its first captain. Harper Campbell Perry became the first Hon Secretary and with the assistance of Author Jackson, these three are regarded as the founding fathers of the club.

County Sligos most outstanding golfer was the late Cecil Ewing. Winner of the West of Ireland on ten occasions, twice winner of the Irish Close and Irish Open Amateur Championship, runner up in the British Amateur Championship, six times selected for the Walker Cup team – a member of the winning team in 1938 and he represented Ireland on sixteen occasions. When taking into account the fact that there were no international events between 1939 and 1946 this is a remarkable achievement. He was captain of County Sligo in 1950 and again in 1961 but he also represented Portmarnock G.C. with whom he won three Barton Shields and five Senior Cup medals. He was Captain of the Irish team on ten occasions and an Irish International and Walker Cup selector for many years.

He also achieved honour of selection as the President of the Golfing Union of Ireland in 1970. The entire golfing community and non-golfers alike mourned his untimely death in 1973. Cecil Ewing’s legacy is unparalleled and is unlikely to be equaled.

The club has hosted many prestigious events over the years. It is home to the West of Ireland Championship, which is held each Easter. The club has hosted the Irish Close Championship as well as the Interprovincial and the Home International Championships, which were staged here in 1991 when Ireland won the Raymond Trophy.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS