|The History of Ireland is long and complex. It is renowned for it’s tales of ancient heros and warriors and more recently the troubles in the North. Thankfully these troubled times are over and life in Ireland is once again peaceful.
We have divided the history into two sections AD 400 – 1800 and a concise history of Ireland 1800 – 2000.
Also included is a Timeline History of Ireland which gives a quick overview of it’s history.
Click on the links to go to relative historic period in Ireland
AD 400 – 1800 1800 – 2000
1900 – 1920
1921 – 1940
1941 – 1960
1961 – 1980
1981 – 1990
1991 – 1999
Look Around Ireland presents the concise history of Ireland from AD 400 to 2000 with information partly obtained and referenced from the following sources to which we are deeply indebted:
- An Illustrated History of Ireland from AD 400 to 1800 by Mary Frances Cusack.
- Illustrations in above by Henry Doyle
- The Story of Ireland by Emily Lawless 1845-1913
- Irish History , Séamus Mac Annaidh, Bath: Paragon,
- Irish Kings and High Kings , Francis John Byrne, Dublin,
- A New History of Ireland: I – Pre-Historic and Early Ireland , ed. Daibhi O Croinin.
- A New History of Ireland: II- Medieval Ireland 1169-1534, ed. Art Cosgrove.
- Braudel, Fernand, The Perspective of the World, vol. III of Civilization and Capitalism
- Plumb, J.H., England in the 18th Century, 1973: “The Irish Empire”
- Maguire, Prof. S.G. Modern Irish Chronicles, 1798-1918, 1955.