Aughnanure Castle is situated on the banks of the Drimneed River, which flows into the western side of Lough Corrib, 3km from Oughterard and 25 kilometres west of Galway City.
The castle was built by the OFlahertys in the 16th century, one of Connacht's most notable and feared lord families.
Aughnanure is one of over 200 tower houses in County Galway, constructed mainly by Gaelic and Anglo-Norman land owning families.
The tower lies close to the shores of Lough Corrib.
The castle was controlled by the O'Flaherty chieftains until 1572, when it was captured by Sir Edward Fitton, president of Connaught, and granted to a junior member of the clan who had been enticed over to the crown.
It was used to blockade Galway during the Cromwellian invasion.
Soon after, it was granted to the Earl of Clanrickard, and then reclaimed by the O'Flahertys.
It later fell into the hands of Lord St George as the foreclosure of a mortgage.
It is now managed by Duchas, the Irish State body responsible for national monuments and heritage affairs.