Tyrrellspass Castle

Use your mouse to look around

You control the picture

 


 

 

 

Name Tyrrellspass Castle County Westmeath Nearest Town Mullingar Access Road N6 More Virtual Tours Click for more About

Tyrrellspass Village takes is located on the N6 main Dublin-Galway Road. With a formal layout around a semi-circular green, the tower of the 15th century Tyrrell Castle lies at the west end of the village. Tyrrellspass Castle dates back to circa 1411. It is situated in the small town of Tyrellspass, Co. Westmeath. It is the only remaining castle of the Tyrrells, who came to Ireland around the time of the Norman Invasion. Tyrellspass is the modern name for Fartullagh, where in 1597 Captain Richard Tyrell, won a major victory against English crown forces in what has become known as the Battle of Tyrellspass. The village was then re-named after Richard Tyrell.

The castle is approx 20 metres high and follows the general pattern of tower houses, stone built, essentially defensive and comprising a series of superimposed chambers. The original spiral staircase and one of the original roof beams dating from 1280 can still be seen today. Alongside the entrance door is a murder hole, through which intruders could be attacked. During the Cromwellian invasion of 1650, it is said the castle occupants suffered a great deal and many were executed as a result. After a tumultuous history of intrusion, it was extensively restored in the 1970’s.

This major focal point of Tyrrellspass is situated on the west side of the village, located in the heart of Co. Westmeath. During the early 1990s, the building was taken over and converted into a modern style restaurant. Today it operates under the name Tyrrellspass Castle Restaurant & Museum. It is currently one of the busiest restaurants and venues for entertainment in Co. Westmeath, hosting medieval banquets on par with that of Bunratty Castle.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS