Use your mouse to look around
You control the picture
Monaghan’s population at the 2006 census stood at 7,811 (including rural area).
The town is located on the main road – the N2 – from Dublin north to both Derry and Letterkenny.
The town itself has plenty of monuments such as the Old Cross and the Spire and is an ideal location from which to explore the county of Monaghan and other surrounding counties both north and south of the border.
Monaghan is a prosperous town with a great choice in shopping and sights to see.
There are number of 4-star hotels and accommodation across all price ranges.
It is also a very industrious town with a concentration of furniture manufacturing, engineering and pharmaceutical production employing many people.
The centre of the town is made up of four interconnecting squares: Market Square, Church Square, The Diamond, and Old Cross Square.
Sited in Market Square are the Market House, built in 1792 and now an art gallery.
The County Museum, which has won the Council of Europe Award for its display of history and archaeology, is located nearby.
Dating from the 17th century, the oldest remaining architectural feature in Monaghan town is the “Old Cross” – located in Old Cross Square.
It is not fully agreed that it is in fact a cross, but may in fact have been a seventeenth century sundial sun dial.
It was originally in the Diamond, Monaghan Town, the traditional center of the town, and was used as a hiring cross and for the attaching of proclamations.
It was moved to its present location in 1876 to allow for the construction of the Rossmore Memorial.
The Rossmore Memorial in the Diamond (shown above) was built in 1876 as a memorial to the 4th Baron Rossmore, who died after a hunting accident at Windsor Castle in 1874.
This Victorian monument is octagonal in shape, with central marble columns supporting a fountain.
Around it, the eight gray columns support the pinnacled superstructure which rises to a dome.
The dome is surmounted by a spire supported by yet more columns.
The letters of Rossmore (also 8 in number) are spaced out around the monument.
Two buildings remain from the 18th century, Aviemore House (1760) on Mill Street and the Market House on Market Square.
Also notable is St Macartan’s Cathedral with its striking rose window and spire, built between 1861 and 1891.
Originally the nave was intended to be 2 bays longer but lack of funds meant that the design was cut back.
The building sits on a hill in an imposing site overlooking Monaghan Town and well worth a tour.
The greatest tragedy in modern-day Monaghan history occurred on the 17th May 1974 seven people died when a car bomb exploded during the Friday evening rush hour.
This was one of the few incidents in the Republic during The Troubles in Northern Ireland; three other bombs exploded on the same day in Dublin in what became known as the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.
The loyalist paramilitary group Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF), claimed responsibility in 1993, but nobody was ever convicted of the crimes.