Carbury Castle, Co. Kildare

Carbury Castle is located up on a hill behind the village. The motte near Carbury Castle was probably built by Milla Fitzhenry who was granted the area by Strongbow. The deBirminghams acquired the castle in the 14th century. In the 15th century it was taken by the native Irish and in 1562 it was granted to the Coley family. They were ancestors of the Dukes of Wellington. The Coleys built a large stronghouse in the 17th century

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS