Use your mouse to look around
You control the picture
Trinity College is located in the heart of Dublin City and is the oldest university in Ireland, built in 1592. It is one of the most visited attractions in Ireland and offers the visitor a wealth of stimulating history and heritage.
The most common reason for a visit is that Trinity houses the world famous and unique Book of Kells, with its massive and detailed decorative Celtic Art. Lesser known, but nonetheless incredible in detail, is the Book of Durrow which is also housed at Trinity along with other important artifacts of Irish heritage.
Trinity College, Dublin ( TCD) corporately designated as the Provost, Fellows and Scholars of the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin, was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth 1 as the "mother of a university", and is the only constituent college of the University of Dublin. Trinity and the University of Dublin form Ireland’s oldest and most prestigious University.
Trinity is located in the centre of Dublin, on College Green opposite the former Irish Houses of Parliament, now the Bank of Ireland Building. The campus occupies 190,000 m 2 (47 acres), much of it green area in the very heart of the city, with many buildings, both old and new, ranged around large courts (known as "squares") and two playing fields. The Library of Trinity College is a copyright library for Ireland and the United Kingdom, containing over 4.5 million books and significant quantities of maps, manuscripts and music.
The first university of Dublin was created by the Pope in 1311, and had a Chancellor, lecturers and students (granted protection by the Crown) over many years, before coming to an end at the Reformation.
The first Provost of the College was the Archbishop of Dublin, Adam Loftus, and he was provided with three initial Fellows. Two years after foundation, a few Fellows and students began to work in the new College, which was then concentrated around one small square.
During the following fifty years the community increased and endowments, including considerable landed estates, were secured, new fellowships were founded, the books which formed the foundation of the great library were acquired, a curriculum was devised and statutes were framed.).